Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Librarians to Watch Out For!

I have never figured out the stereotype of librarians: glasses, hair in bun, frumpy clothes, and an outrageously stern disposition who hate everyone and only live for the books and, maybe, a cat. True, I wear glasses. Sometimes I put my waist length hair in a bun. (And while I refuse to dress like my teenage daughter or students, I would like to think my clothes aren't too bad!) Plus, I enjoy interacting with students and expect the library to be quiet enough for others to concentrate, but not silent. I want people to visit my library! (And my dogs don't think to kindly of the neighbor's cats...but that's another story.)

Of course, then there's that OTHER stereotype. The one with librarians cast in the exact opposite of the first.  Where did that come from?

Well, if you look at our culture, you'll see both of those stereotypes plus a few more interesting characters portrayed in books and movies. (the strict Madame Pince in Harry Potter, murder-solving elderly Ivy Malone from Lorena McCourtney's Invisible series, Dr. Yanina Zenchenko in Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library -- the library itself is coveted by librarians everywhere with its robots who shelve books, holographic statues, and a holographic tiger wandering the aisles)  Noah Wylie's series of movies turn librarians into a cross between Indiana Jones and every big winner on Jeopardy! The spin off TV show, The Librarians, makes us into crime-syndicate fighting super hereos. (How do I apply?) And then there's this video by a New Zealand band, Haunted Love. I think every school librarian in the world wants those bookshelves...


No comments:

Post a Comment