Friday, February 26, 2016

Making Life Easier with Current Events


As I often tell students, I am a firm believer in making my life as easy as possible. That is why I believe in using databases and online encyclopedias, not online searches on Google, for research. I go straight to the table of contents or index when looking for something in a print book or e-book. And, when given permission to do so, I share information given to me by the Tech Leaders of Johnston County!

Here is a great FREE resource for middle school and high school students that does NOT require making an account! It's a source of current event articles written for this target audience. Each article also has discussion questions.





To get started, visit: http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/


The website is updated daily with new articles. Student News Daily has weekly features that go beyond normal current events, for example on Wednesdays, they feature an article that is an example of media bias and on Fridays, they have an article featuring an editorial cartoon.

Click on any article from the homepage to expand it:


At the bottom of each article, there are questions, as well as relevant background information and videos if applicable.


The questions for this particular article also include some reading strategies for students since this article has difficult subject matter.

I hope you add Student News Daily as a resource for current events and global studies in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment