Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Happy Whatever You Decide Upon Day!

Today when I arrived at school, I was met by a wonderful young lady with whom I've been working on next year's Poetry Slam Club. Hanna presented me with a bag of Oreos (Yum!) and wished me "Happy Cookie Day!"

Well, I wasn't aware of today's significance and mentioned my ignorance of the day. (How could I not have known! I love cookies only slightly less than a furry blue monster!) And that's when Hanna told me of an absolutely wonderful idea she had.

Because this is the last full week of "normal" classes before exams start, she decided to have her own week of celebrations. We have National Library Week, Teacher Appreciation Week, National Poetry Month, and so on (all very important, of course). So she asked herself, "Why not choose a week and name it and celebrate each and every day?" Hanna named this Candy and Cookie Week, and she gave each day a special meaning and has had fun during what can be a stressful week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea.

You could have a Fabulous Author Week and celebrate each day with a favorite author. (Tea with Agatha Christie on Monday, a game of Quidditch with friends in honor of J.K. Rowling on Tuesday, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - or go to the beach - with Jules Verne on Wednesday, and so forth) Perhaps you love mysteries. Each day could be a different day of suspense. Bring your friends in on it (or even better, leave them in the dark and give them mysterious clues every day). Just the thought is enough to bring a smile to my face on a Wednesday during a very stressful time of year on a day filled with Professional Development in the library as we have teachers learn how to us a new tech tool for next year during their planning period. (Whew! What a sentence. Does that explain what the library is like today?)

I don't know about you, but I'm already thinking of some celebratory weeks in the future. Why do this?

Because I'm a librarian.

And I want to!

(Go ahead. You know you want to, too!)

 


2 comments:

  1. How about Number Appreciation Day? (and not just Pi Day....Hat is 3.14)

    I hope there is an M&M day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't limit yourself to a day! Do a week-long celebration of numbers! Prime number day, fractions, integer day, Odd Day...Have fun with this!

    ReplyDelete