Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Blasphemous Librarian

I'm wondering about changing my blog name.

Of course, some people would read the title "The Blasphemous Librarian" and immediately take offense. Others might think it is religious in nature. Others might not find me offensive enough...

Here is why I call myself that with a degree of humor and self-deprecation mixed with the appropriate amount of sarcasm:

I like to stir the hornet's nest sometimes to get people thinking outside the box.

My role as a high school librarian is multi-faceted. First, I support my students and staff with materials and books needed for their needs (academic and recreational reading). Then I provide knowledge to assist students in finding what they need for research, resources, life skills (i.e.: scholarship opportunities, holding mock interview sessions, etc.) as well as professional development for teachers on a variety of topics. On top of that, I am always trying to innovate ways to create a reading culture in a school of well over 2000 students on a large campus with grants and activities. But then I am also a teacher, with 2 classes of Library Science I and 3 Library Science II classes this semester. I assist the tech facilitator when possible (although he doesn't need my help much...except at testing times!) There's also the monitoring of students who don't have class during certain blocks, and the administrative duties of running a library, and so on. Of course, one role that doesn't get discussed much is the role a librarian plays in raising reading abilities (and, therefore, test scores) in a high school.

That role is understated, but extremely important in today's educational climate. No matter your opinion of testing, it happens. And students need to do well on the tests. And most of the content area tests are primarily READING tests: Read this passage (they will need to be familiar with subject concepts and vocabulary) and answer questions. Move to next passage. Shampoo, rinse, repeat for almost every test. If a student struggles with reading or doesn't enjoy reading, this can be quite a chore! How to improve that reading ability in high school has always been seen as more difficult, but studies show it comes down to one thing: reading.

Students who read by choice and for pleasure and more likely to show improvement in skill, vocabulary, and fluency. CHOICE and PLEASURE. This might mean rethinking the class novel approach to books in the high school English course.


No comments:

Post a Comment