Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Things We Learn

The top three things I have learned so far this year:
  1. Patience.
  2. Patience.
  3. Patience.

Why so much need for patience? Because I have been visiting the Pre-Prep and Prep school classes this past week, introducing myself and discussing some of the exciting new features of the yet-to-be-opened library. Each time I discuss it, I wish I could take them into the library and show them everything. But...everything is not quite finished.

I have also learned that children everywhere are fascinated by things they have heard or read about, but never experienced for themselves as well as making connections to what they know. As I introduce myself and explain I am from North Carolina, they start to ask questions.
  • "How many planes did you take to get here?"  (3)
  • "How long did it take?" (Usually 27-30 hours, but our trip was 46.)
  • "Do you have typhoons?" (No, we have hurricanes.)
    • This naturally leads to questions about tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and snow. (Yes, but I've never seen one; not really; no; and yes!)
  • I explain about our beaches and mountains, climate, and even the size of our cities in response to questions. 
Although I am not in the library yet, I have started teaching research to some classes. Students are the same everywhere when it comes to learning research skills: "Why can't we just Google it?"


No comments:

Post a Comment