Sunday, January 12, 2020

To Be Read Lists and More

Librarians are supposed to have many things:

  1. a lot of personal book shelves
  2. overflowing number of books on those book shelves
  3. knowledge of each and every piece of writing ever published on any continent at any point in time
  4. the ability to know which book to which you are referring when you mention "that novel about the dog, or maybe it was a cat, with the orange cover. Well, maybe it was a green cover. I don't remember."
  5. a TBR.
Let's get right to it:
  1. My personal book shelves amount to one right now. Meaning one shelf. I sold my bookshelves before moving to Thailand.
  2. My personal books are all in boxes in storage so I currently have 12 books. That's right. An even dozen. (Although my Nook Simple Touch (original edition!) does have 2000+ archived books since it only holds 460. I have to archive books each time I purchase another one.)
  3. I know OF books. I have read thousands of books. I do not remember every book that has ever been written. Sorry.
  4. If I haven't read it, or I didn't recommend it to you, I probably won't be able to help you. Fortunately, I belong to several librarian groups online who might be able to help.
  5. NOPE. One of the things I do not have is a TBR - "To Be Read" list. I know people with TBRs on GoodReads and librarian sites who have 50, 100, 200 or more books waiting for them to read. 


I WILL NOT CREATE A TBR.

Seriously.

Any avid reader has books they want to read. Most, if not all, librarians are going to see new books arrive in the library, or in a book review, and say, "Oh! That looks good/interesting/fascinating/etc. I want to read that."  Of course, as librarians, we do not have time to read books frequently. We are busy with budgets, programming, lessons, reading clubs, and so much more.

Now think back to when you were TOLD what to read for a grade. Did you get excited about those assignments? Did you eagerly anticipate being able to open that book? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. (I often wonder if assigned novels is why I dislike almost every "classic" I had to read for a grade. The only one I don't hate is the one I'd read four years before it was assigned when my brother brought it home as an assigned book.)

Books are not supposed to be chores. And that's what homework is: a chore. When we are forced to read a book, even if it is one we should like, the enjoyment is sucked out of that story. At least it was for me.

Now to return to the world of TBRs.

To have a list of "must reads" turns the "Oh, that sounds like a good book" into "Oh, I need to get started on those books." They become a chore. And that means perfectly wonderful stories do not get the time nor attention nor enjoyment they deserve.

With the exception of books nominated for the Bangkok Book Awards, I do not have a TBR any more. When I see an interesting book (i.e.: The War that Saved My Life), I check it out and take it home to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment