Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Did You Ever Realize...

 ...how many emails actually arrive in your work inbox in the course of a year? Neither had I until I received the dreaded "Your mailbox is close to capacity" message. That means, of course, time to review and delete irrelevant emails, organize "must keep" emails into folders, and don't forget your sent messages box! At the time of this writing, I have successfully deleted all unnecessary emails through 2020. 

Whenever I get this message, whether at home or at work, I make a resolution to do better. Delete the irrelevant from my inbox, and organize the rest. And I do that most of the time. In fact, I remember to delete and empty the deleted items folder on a regular basis. However, when I have 47 emails the first half of the day, several of them follow-ups from other emails, I keep them. Then, when the situation is over, I forget to delete.

How does my overly full inbox relate to The Hungry Bookshelf today? Well....

The library is that way sometimes. We keep what is no longer relevant, leading to outdated books, boxes full of craft supplies, lesson plans from past library lessons. This piles up and begins to clutter the library. Purging the old is needed. Weeding the things we no longer need nor promote.

And that, my friend, is why the library can be a metaphor for our lives! Get rid of the unnecessary! Purge the irrelevant! Let go of the past (except for the good stuff, of course!)

Once the inbox is no longer overflowing, I think it will be time to tackle....the file drawer. (No file cabinet. Just a drawer. And only 7 file folders....)


(Meanwhile, Click and Collect has begun, with over 80 families participating the first week; four book orders that had not been delivered over the term break arrived on the same day and all are catalogued and being processed; craft activities have been a great success; and many more activities with students are taking place virtually or are upcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment